I decided to use a Language Arts Webquest for my evaluation that is geared for second and third graders. I have taught 5th/6th grade Language Arts in the past, but I am switching to 3rd grade next year. I thought it would be interesting to search for material that I could possibly use in my classroom. The Webquest I evaluated was: http://www.rockwood.k12.mo.us/geggie/krey/author'sstudywebquest/index.html
The task for the 2nd and 3rd graders was to write the "missing page" to a story they have read in class. They would start out by reading an excerpt from their reading books. I thought it seemed a little boring to read from the basal. They could either read a whole book, or if the teacher wanted to use shorter pieces of writing, she could have just had the students read one chapter (without finishing the last page or so) They would then team up with a partner to research their author. Websites were provided for the students to research. I thought it was a good idea to provide websites for the kids to research on, since they wouldn't have a lot of previous knowledge about research. They would be given the materials and could find the valuable information themselves.
The students then had to choose a few other books by the same author to check out from the library. They would read a few paragraphs from each, and then identify and record (in a chart provided to them) patterns or techniques that the author uses in their writing. Again, I think it is good that the chart and list of other books is provided for the students. Being 2nd and 3rd graders, this may be their first Webquest.
After the students had identified the writer's style, they then used that information to independently write the ending or "missing page" from their author's story. They had to make sure that they were being true to the author's style and technique of writing. They would be provided with a graphic organizer to brainstorm ideas and would later publish their work.
Overall, I thought this would be a good Webquest for younger students. The teachers provided the students with guidance for researching and organizing their ideas. However, by writing their own ending, the teacher leaves the assignment very open-ended. Each student would put their own creativity and ideas into their "missing page." This may be considered more of a developing inquiry lesson. The students are learning to work on their own and to develop their own questions and exploration ideas, but the teacher still provides the students with a decent amount of guidance and information to use. This would be a good Webquest to begin with, but then the teacher could gradually expose the students to Webquests that were more inquiry-based with minimal help from the teacher.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
This sounds like a student centered activity with teacher guidance instead of teacher centered. I agree with you that having the links and charts were there for the students to choose from rather than just assigning one is the way to go.
ReplyDeleteHI Laura~
ReplyDeleteThis sounds really good! Did the WebQuest have other project ideas for the students as well? For example, besides just 'writing' the missing page, does it provide any alternative projects? What about differentiation? Can it be applied to special education kids?
Honestly, I am curious~ I work with special ed, and if the author provides ways for differentiation without changing the whole lesson, or minimizing it, I would love to know!
Thanks~
Kathryn