Last week, our class met online in Second Life. When I first saw on the syllabus that we would be using Second Life, I was very intrigued. I had heard about it before and had seen an episode of The Office where Jim created an avatar for the sole purpose of annoying Dwight in Second Life. Very funny stuff! After Craig told us to download the program for the next class, I actually went home and did it that night. I was curious to see what it was all about. I tried exploring on my own, but wasn't exactly sure what to do. I had some interesting conversations with a few other avatars, however. This program almost seemed similar to the game The Sims to me, although it seems as though Second Life is more of a social networking program, than a game.
When we actually met in Second Life as a class, I was very curious to see what we were going to do. I had a little trouble actually moving my avatar, because the program was running so slowly, but once Craig had us meet in groups, it worked more quickly. We were able to choose and explore where we wanted to go as a group. This was definitely an inquiry project in my opinion. We were given the freedom to explore and figure things out on our own, after basic instruction and navigating tips were given to us when we first entered. If certain restrictions could be put on the program to make it more appropriate for kids or if they came out with a kid-friendly version, I think that there would definitely be potential for its use in the classroom. The students could explore different areas all over the world. In social studies, the students could explore different areas in the U.S. I believe there is also the possibility to build in this game which could tie in many different subjects: math, science, and social studies. Think about the possibilities. I have a lot more to learn about this program though, and I think safety restrictions would definitely have to be in place before this could be used.
I am interested in exploring Second Life again. I know I only got a small taste of what lies within the Second Life world, and I would be interested in exploring the endless possibilities it contains. I am curious as to what the main purpose of this program is for the average user. What makes people want to use it and what was the main intention of those who have used it for educational purposes?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Laura - I like your idea of having a kid-friendly version with the necessary restrictions. Having places to go for kids to explore is a great idea. You are right - social studies, science, math - there are a lot of possiblities.
ReplyDeleteWhen I first went in there, before our class experience, avators would come up to me to talk and I got nervous. I was being very whimpy! The thought of having kids in there doesn't seem safe at all. But, I bet it won't be long before something like this is developed for kids with an educational emphasis.
Ellen
Laura,
ReplyDeleteI have to admit that I didn't really see the point to second life. I kept walking around and I was allowed to go and see different things but wherever I went things were blurry and even if a waited a while, things never really allowed me to interact. This was a little frustrating. Maybe I was in the wrong areas but I was able to walk around, sit down and talk with my group but that was about all.
If there was a kid-friendly site available, I do thing there would have to be more interactive things for them to do. You suggested certain subject areas, which I think would be great. You know have the avatars get involved in some sort of science project or something. That would be kind of cool.
Ok, I think I should have read what I wrote because I have a really long run-on. Oops.
ReplyDeleteHi Laura. I'm not a real big fan of video/online games either. I never found a fascination with them, usually lost when I tried to play, and therefore never really enjoyed it. I like structure, plans, and real conversation. I've got too much to do than to "communicate" with people whose real names I don't even know.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the post. -- Todd